The Meat Market was on the High Street, it stretched from Dernstall Lock to St. Lawrence's Lane, near the King's Arms Yard. This market moved in 1774 across Clasketgate (then known as Butchery Street) to an area called the Butchery; next to the earlier Crown Inn. The Butchery had shops on its periphery with stalls in the centre, it also had its own slaughterhouse. A cloth market, the Drapery, had existed on St Martin's Lane since the 13th century, it was then known as the Parmentaria.
|Newland, the location of the Butter Cross|
|The 1847 Corn Exchange|