|The 1906 fire, flames probably added by the postcard printer|
A fire broke out in the private chapel, caused probably by a flue overheating on 14th January 1906. The house was restored in 1906 but demolished in 1939 after another fire in 1938.
Among the fittings of the house offered for sale were:
The house was built of 100,000 tons of hammer-carved stone and 150,000 bricks.
"On the estate is a spring much frequented, from the medicinal virtue ascribed to its waters; it is very pure, and similar to that of Malvern Wells, in Worcestershire: it bears the name of St. Christopher's Well." - History of the County of Lincoln Vol II - 1834